Sunday, August 3, 2014

My Very Favorite

Inspirational song: Tarzan Boy (Baltimora)

So I have a question. If I agree to go full gypsy with my man, to store all my material goods and travel around the country for many months in a row, to cut back on our big financial obligations like mortgages and maybe some of the little ones like satellite radio, so we don't end up dipping deeply into savings to do this, does it mean that we have to give up our monthly membership for massages? It's a national chain. We could drop in just about anywhere to get our pre-paid sessions. Don't you think that living in a cramped RV space would mean those massages are more important than ever? I would. That's going to have to factor in to my negotiations for this potential trip.

I went to my regular appointment today, and told my masseur that I needed special attention on my forearms that have been strained for a week, and my super-tense shoulders. But as he went along, every time he switched focus, I was silently thinking, "This. This is my favorite part." I thought that about the mid-back. And then I thought it as he worked on my shoulder blades. And then the calves, feet, ankles, hands, scalp... Do I really have to choose a favorite? I think my true favorite part was the part he was working on at that exact moment. I am that way with colors too. My favorite color is the one that fits my mood and works for the application. A color I love for sweaters would not necessarily be the color I choose for a couch or a car. I love all colors, and I don't ever want to limit myself to one small palette. I wouldn't want to but stuck with one or two favorite colors any more than I would want to be stuck with one or two flavors of food forever.

I don't think my refusal to declare a favorite makes me indecisive, or even greedy. I think it makes me happy. I am able to live in a moment, to appreciate what is available to me right then. I see no reason we all couldn't have a little of this in our lives. It's not going to solve all the global problems, but it's sure going to calm each of us down just a little to stop sometimes and think this, this right now is my favorite moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment