Friday, September 27, 2024

Low Key

Inspirational song: America (Simon & Garfunkel)

My Tulsa family and I understand each other pretty well. We don't need high-power, fancy entertainment. For that matter, we barely need entertainment at all. We are content to exist in each other's presence, piping up with questions and comments when they occur to us, but also just zoning out on TV or reading or just resting. It's a relief not needing to perform for anyone, or be on the go through my whole vacation. We used to try that when I was a lot younger, but even then I had trouble keeping up. I predict the other side of my family, who I will meet up with in OKC in the morning will have learned this same lesson. There may be more lively conversation, but no one is going to expect me to dress up for fancy dinner or hoof it around an amusement park or anything physically taxing. These are vacations that are actually vacations now. 

While my brother and I were watching TV (he was watching and I was 3/4 napping in front of the TV, 1/4 surfing Threads), I came across mentions of a new documentary on Netflix called Will & Harper. It was about a former writer on Saturday Night Live who transitioned and she and Will Farrell took a road trip from New York to LA, visiting all kinds of small towns and uniquely American sorts of venues (for example, a stock car race in Meeker, OK). She and Will had been close friends for 30 years, and she wrote some of the most famous Will Farrell SNL bits, like the fake ad for "Whoops, I Crapped My Pants" adult diapers. The documentary was funny and poignant, and it was every bit as good as the social media posts led me to expect. A few other folks from SNL made brief appearances in it, but the main storyline was what made it worth the watch.

I've tried and failed to get a picture of the sweet, little black cat who has been very interested in being my friend. She likes to come up and ask for pets, but the one time I tried to set her on my lap she said nonononono and ran off. We can try again later for snuggles. That or maybe I see if she can fit in my suitcase and steal her. She would fit right in with Athena and Jackie, right? They wouldn't terrorize her much. (Yes, they would.)

No comments:

Post a Comment