Saturday, September 28, 2024

One Side to the Other

Inspirational song: Traveling Soldier (Bruce Robison)

Time in Tulsa was too short. I got to see everyone, which was nice, but I spent most of my time decompressing. I'm not sure I was talkative enough. I'll have to make another trip down sooner than later. (Sorry, didn't mean to drop the S-word on the OSU side of the family.)

I made it to OKC five minutes past my initial show time, although by the time I got on the road, my deadline had slipped by an hour. We were originally going to go to Eischen's early, but once my uncle really thought it through, he decided early on a Saturday would be unwise. He was proved correct, when the waitress said it was hopping until the OU game kicked off, and by then everyone had gone home to watch.

It was pretty cool to be able to watch football with my dad, uncles (one of whom was a coach for years), and aunt who is as fluent in the sport as anyone for having been a coach's wife all that time. That was like reliving the best part about fall holiday gatherings. The only part that would have made the memory sweeter would be the one uncle singing the Houston Oilers fight song like he used to in the old days. And even though we watched OU all the way to the end, I still got to see the 4th quarter of the CU game. It had a delayed start, so there was just enough time to catch the end.

On the way back from Eischen's bar (where fried chicken is their specialty, but I managed to get a frito pie that was GF), we stopped at the veterans museum owned and operated by the Yukon American Legion. (My cousins will correct me if I'm saying the wrong organization.) They have an extensive collection of artifacts, and my cousin and his wife who are on the board of the museum, are understandably proud of their museum. We were all impressed, I can say with certainty.

I have another day and a half here before I head home, so I think I can pause here for now. There will be plenty left to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment