Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Jitters

Inspirational song: Real Wild Child (Iggy Pop)

My nerves came back to life today. After all those days feeling wan and pale, suddenly I feel like I have a live current running through me, and it's a little more than I can handle. I feel like a little kid in kindergarten who has been told she has to sit still for an hour while the teacher drones on about something boring, when her body is telling her to get up and run in a random pattern, making every weird noise she has ever discovered her voice can produce. Where did this come from? Sure, I can see getting a little spun up about football over the last two days, having listened to two games on internet radio and watching bits and pieces of three others on television. I don't think that's the whole of it, however. It doesn't appear to be over-caffeination, unless caffeine is getting slipped in somewhere as a vapor through my a/c vents. I just needed to get up and DO today. The kitchen is a lot cleaner, the recycling is finally taken to the outside bins, for which I'm glad to have the nervous energy. I reached the limits of what I'm willing to do on my carpentry project upstairs, until I have someone with stronger hands and shoulders to help me finish the details, and I find or replace my power sander before I paint it. The day bed I have been trying to create for months is put together but not trimmed out, and now it has the mattress, sheets, a blanket, and a large assortment of pillows on it. And it has a very rotund black cat who is beyond thrilled that I made her a very special bed, just for Jackies. She has been singing about it all evening, and rolling around, getting tangled in the sheets, and covering the new blanket with black fur. I hope it all survives until there is daylight for photographs. I guarantee nothing. I still can't decide whether to go ahead and put the new matching Persian carpet on the floor in the freshly redecorated guest room. Is that just asking for cat barf?

Not even a nice bourbon on the rocks has been able to cool my jitters. If anything, that just made me feel warmer, thus aggravating the situation. The laptop is too hot to snuggle with, so perhaps I will cut it short, pick a short project I can complete before bed, and leave you with the pictures of the lizard I surprised on my front door when I took out the trash, and the moment Athena noticed that it was there. She was not allowed to kill it.




No comments:

Post a Comment