Sunday, October 13, 2024

So That They Leave Me Alone

Inspirational song: Shambala (Three Dog Night)

October is taking its time becoming, well, October. Saw our favorite weatherman Chris Bianchi (Crispy Donkey) refer to it as "Scorchtober" today. Finally there are cooler days in the forecast. Not necessarily tomorrow, but in the long-range, and that's enough to give me hope. The overnight low tonight is supposed to barely kiss the 30s, but make it to second base with them in a week. I need to bring the last of the plants in this week, assuming I can make the last adjustments so they have places to overwinter. 

The one thing I am not ready to do is turn on the heat. We came in to watch a Marvel movie and the most recent episode of Agatha All Along, and the bedroom was chilly. A couple of hours later, with two each of adult humans, giant dogs, and cuddly cats, and this room is broiling again. I'm not interested in heating it further. I actually considered turning the ceiling fan off this evening, before the room heated up. What was I thinking. That thing will stay on until January, at least.

I didn't walk the next section of my neighborhood today after all. Instead, the only GOTV effort I made was my own. I did the last of the research on judge retention, which was thankfully detailed in the blue book the state sends out, and the few amendments and ballot initiatives that I hadn't fully considered until today. I filled out my ballot, and I am comfortable with the choices I made. I feel a little hypocritical, because I didn't exactly consult the voter guide I'm papering my neighbors' homes with, although I probably came to most of the same conclusions my compatriots did. I'm going to return my ballot inside the county offices tomorrow, instead of using the drop box next to the DMV, in hopes of getting the sticker. That's why I always waited until actual election day before. But they say turning in your ballot early stops the texts and emails, and I'm willing to trade a sticker for some peace any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment