Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Cat Lady

Inspirational song: Somewhere Over the Rainbow (The Wizard of Oz)

For the third time this year, I am leaving open a tab of a live stream of a Canadian soon-to-be mama cat. Young Dorothy is a black cat who hasn't grown into her fur yet. Her tail is just shaggy enough to proclaim her long-haired status, but she's just now getting healthy after being abandoned, pregnant and carrying parasites, and she looks a little threadbare. I'm crazy for opening myself up for getting another celebrity kitty crush. I have so much to do to put the Park away for the year, but I will be making a lot of detours to the laptop in two weeks, waiting for the Kittens of Oz to appear. I wonder whether this kitten voyeurism is enough to keep me from ever raising a litter of kittens in my own house. I sure hope so. I'm a two-time foster failure. I'd end up keeping every single one of them, and having to permanently give up on ever having a real life. I'd just invest in a rainbow of bathrobes and pajama pants, and pull myself out of the social world completely if I had that many cats. So in an effort to maintain my tenuous grasp on civilization, I will just watch Tiny Kittens online, and keep looking for a paying job and human friends.

Someone told me that today was some sort of "day of the cat," according to one picture they found on the internet. Is this a thing? Shouldn't I have already known that if it was? What kind of crazy cat lady am I, if I can't even keep up with that? It really wasn't that much of a different day around here. They still stared at me until I gave them all my attention, and I obeyed all their demands, like Rabbit insisting that the water bowl has to be cleaned twice daily, because it gets dog saliva in it. She couldn't possibly drink from the water glass I keep full on the counter, because that one is for Athena. It's not like I have better things to do. I am a cat slave.

I don't think I can do it today. I can't come up with a corresponding story to tie it all together. I really just cleaned house, cooked stew, and raked leaves. My brain was in neutral all day. I'm just going to cuddle my cats and let another day slip by. Perhaps I'll be more poetic tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment