Monday, October 20, 2014

Shine a Little Light

Inspirational song: Money for Nothing (Dire Straits)

I reported for duty, exactly as ordered. I and a couple dozen of my neighbors appeared in the courtroom, in drips and drabs. I was one of the early ones, and I sat in mind-numbing silence for about half an hour, watching the other people file in. We checked in at the front of the courtroom, and sat several feet apart from each other, with nothing to read, no phones to check, and an overwhelming shyness keeping us from being chatty. Five minutes past our scheduled show time, a man in a black robe entered the room, and told us that our services would not be required. He said that by simply gathering, evidencing our willingness to form a jury, the parties involved settled their case before we ever found out any details of who or what or when. For our troubles, we would all get twenty dollars, and we were all released to go about our day. Naturally, I was entirely spun up yesterday, worried that this would turn into a long trial, and I feared that I would not be able to make my scheduled travel plans. I always worry for nothing. It's my modus operandi.

I'm trying to find a way to keep more of my container plants alive as it gets closer to the time when they all must be inside. I only have one window that faces mostly south, and I have as many plants on it as I can fit without adding shelving. I stopped by the big box store on my way home from the jury duty that wasn't, looking to see what was available in the way of grow lights. I found a couple incandescent bulbs that said they were grow lights, but I'm not sure I want to burn that much electricity all winter long. I ended up with an aquarium/plant bulb in a cheap fluorescent fixture. I don't know whether it will improve the health of my plants at all. I adhered it to the window next to the herbs that came in two weeks ago, that have all started to look pale and sickly. The marjoram is barely alive (if it really is at all). For the first several hours the lamp was on, the bulb had this bizarre swirling pattern, like the filament inside was being spun in circles from one end, and it was whiptailing down the length of the bulb. By full dark outside, it eventually stopped flickering. I hope it's over whatever stressed it out. It was annoying, and I don't think I would want to watch it every day, even if it is good for the plants. I should know in a few days whether this was worth the money.


No comments:

Post a Comment