Thursday, November 13, 2014

Cutting Back

Inspirational song: Brick House (The Commodores)

I spent the evening with a handful of women, half of whom were indulging in the snack foods on all the gaming tables, and the other half of whom were on very similar nutritional paths as I. The conversation was very interesting, and I made a few new contacts who could help me discover new recipes and ideas. I enjoyed being with like-minded individuals, at least on this front. (I don't know them well enough yet to know how many other things lined up. That will come with time.)

The man has been very serious about trimming back branches and clearing debris from the Park. I am having significant feelings of inadequacy, seeing how quickly and easily he goes through it. Things that take me hours or days fall before his stamina and manly upper body strength in mere minutes. He also was enthusiastic about getting up on a ladder and trimming dead or low-hanging branches. I'm nervous even on a two-stair step stool, so ladders are not my thing. I have a whole series of photos of this man, of him on a ladder taken by me with both feet on the ground. This is the common thread through most of our house and yard work. I suppose the advantage I have is I'm great at painting baseboards from awkward, low positions.

We had a nice dinner al fresco this evening, after spending a few hours outside clearing and raking. I am rather liking being forced to create my own recipes, now that I have given up on all branded products. I put together a homemade barbecue sauce for chicken that was worth repeating, assuming I can remember everything that went into this one. I'll write it out for an ATK post soon, but it's not ever going to be filed under "low-carb" for anyone. It had quite a bit of honey and molasses, to offset the heavy hand I had with the sriracha.

I came home from valiantly refusing to nibble on chocolate and all sorts of grain-based snacks (even the corn chips and buffalo dip), to turn on a recording of the Biggest Loser. Damn, what is it about watching this that made me hungrier than ever? I need to focus on the healthy choices I've made, and not go digging through the underside of my pantry, to see whether there are any bad food items that survived the purge, hiding behind the wall of saved plastic grocery bags. Only real food. Only real food. I need to repeat that until I am back to believing it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment