Monday, November 3, 2014

Relative

Inspirational song: Prince Charming (Adam and the Ants)

My life flashed before my eyes today, and suddenly I feel so old. I was out running errands, and the Sirius DJ, who has always been a font of information for one of my favorite artists from the early 80s, announced that today was Adam Ant's birthday. His sixtieth birthday. No, that is just not possible. I can't accept that so much time has passed since I was a fifteen year old girl, going to see him in concert (with INXS as an opening act) with one of my best friends. I can't wrap my head around how many years have passed since my prom date borrowed my navy blue eye liner and pink lip gloss, to garner just a bit of Adam Ant's sex appeal, and back then, we really thought it worked. It can't be that long ago. I still feel like a teenager. I got carded for wine at the grocery store today and everything!

I did manage to slow down time soon after that shock to my system. I stood around in the AT&T store for 40 minutes, waiting for it to be my turn. I know we just changed the clocks on Sunday, but I think time ran backwards for another hour or so while I waited. Maybe that's the job I should be looking for. The sales clerks certainly aren't encouraged to race around and handle people's problems quickly. It's not like customer service in any other field. They don't even have a dedicated register for people who want to do simple things like purchase screen protectors or cases. That must be a low stress job. I have never gone into one of those stores when it didn't take a half an hour or longer (much longer) to complete what seemed like simple transactions. I don't think I'm particularly impatient, or judging them unfairly. I guess I just had more of a fire lit under my rear end when I worked customer service jobs.

I'm getting to the point where every day will feel like weeks. Things are finally winding down for us soon. I probably should start putting together a to-do list, so I have a clear schedule to stick to, and I don't have to panic at the end, trying to get things put together and ready at the last minute. Oh, who am I kidding? I will panic regardless. Without a little stress, I just don't get much done. It's not a very grown-up way to behave, but the older I get, the less I feel like behaving like a grown-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment