Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Clean Sweep

Inspirational song: A Spoonful of Sugar (Mary Poppins)

The three good fairies from yesterday's tale descended upon my house today. They worked their magic for hours. We moved and swept and scrubbed and hid and tossed and toiled until this house was tolerably tidy. Together we discovered a lot of the damage Zoe and Murray have done around here. That knowledge only served to depress me. My house isn't perfect, but it's good enough for my kids to visit, and I have clean places for them to sleep. The remaining visitors will be staying at a hotel. So far we have had two VIP out-of-towners drop out, which is a shame. One had a family event that conflicted with our big ceremony, and the other had his flight outright canceled, a day in advance, because of a winter storm. I hope those are our only two losses. This weekend is a big freaking deal, and I want people around to help us celebrate.

I asked the man about how many of his details I can share, and so far he says few. Let's leave it at: he is ending one phase of his life, in order to make it possible for us to start the next one, probably back in Colorado. It's exciting and terrifying and exhausting. Or maybe it was just all the cleaning today that was so particularly exhausting. I fell asleep sitting up on the couch twice today. I think it's time for me to leave my much cleaner living room, and go get my beauty sleep for the celebrations about to begin. Sorry, I was too busy for pictures today. Try and imagine my wood floors gleaming, and my perpetually-cluttered kitchen counter tops bare and polished. I know that's hard, if you've paid attention to a single picture of the inside of this house in the last two years, but it's true. For (at most) the next 48 hours, it's true. I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts.

1 comment:

  1. Ah the day approaches... Mine was a bit of a Charlie Foxtrot thanks to the inept MSgt in charge from our office... Nobody from AFSOC came... She didn't send the invitees and I was on terminal leave... Idiot boss did me no favors either... But for family and those there it was a grand time!

    ReplyDelete