Thursday, March 12, 2015

Fickle

Inspirational song: That Which I Have Lost (George Harrison)

What an up and down week it has been. I'm not handling things well, from the weather, to the changes in my house, to the uncertainty in my future. There are lists of the major life stresses, sometimes ranked in order of the most stressful, and we are going through several of them all at once. Maybe more than we intended to originally, who knows at this point. Job change? Check. Major surgery? Check. Moving soon? Check. House hunting/selling? Check. Fighting like cats and dogs? Check. Our emotions right now are as fickle as the weather. I heard the weatherman say that in the month of March so far, we've had two days with highs in the 40s, two with highs in the 60s, four in the 70s, and four in the 80s. And today, a cold front came through, and here I am with a chill, sitting under a blanket.

We cleared the house of clutter today, and loaded it into a trailer. The man is going to take it to storage, so we can work on staging this house to sell. For a full day's work, we have one bedroom that is ready for pictures for a real estate listing. This is going to be a long, slow process. Ugh. It would go faster if I could actually lift one of these boxes I'm packing.

I packed away my grandmother's china, or at least those pieces that I had unpacked in this house. It looks like the last time I used the dessert plates, whoever helped me with the dishes and the re-stacking was a little clumsy putting them in the cabinet. About halfway through the stack, one of the plates was broken into three pieces. It appears to be a clean break, so with some good ceramic-bonding glue, I could keep it around, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to use it again. I hate losing this stuff. Some of it dates back to 1939. It hurts my heart to see it damaged.

I went out this morning to find that our plum tree has blossomed, and a few other signs of spring are popping out. There was one tiny cluster of open forsythia blooms, but most of the bush appears to be still slumbering. There are some things growing that I can't identify. I wonder whether they are weeds or special friends reawakening from last year. I noticed with pride that my weeping willow is finally strong enough to stand up on its own, without being tied to the fence to stay upright. I also saw that some naughty puppy has decided to help me with the overcrowding of cannas. I caught Elsa digging under the sycamores yesterday, and today there is a big bare patch by the corner of the dining room. If Elsa is going to take up gardening, why couldn't she learn how to prune roses?

No comments:

Post a Comment