Monday, March 2, 2015

I'm Not Ready

Inspirational song: People Get Ready (v. Rod Stewart)

I ran out of the Percocet they gave me when I left the hospital. I knew I was almost out on Friday, when I talked to the doc, who told me he couldn't renew it over the phone. I promised him I would make the attempt to transition to just ibuprofen over the weekend, and let him know how it went today. Today was my first nothing-but-Advil day, and it went very poorly. I had to sleep through most of it. I wasn't fully awake and clear-headed until about 4:30 this afternoon, which was too late to call the doc and tell him that my experiment with minimal medication was a dismal failure. I am not ready to deal with all the pain from the inside without a crutch yet. I am not ashamed to admit that. It has only been two weeks since they removed a foot and a half of my intestines. They said this would be a recovery of two months, not two weeks.

There will be a handful of our favorite people in the world coming to visit us this weekend. After months of being sick and weeks of being in recovery, this house is not ready for company. It's cluttered, sticky, stinky, and another long list of words that all mean messy. I want to participate in the cleanup, because I don't want anyone coming to the house like it is, but I think I was upright for a grand total of about three hours all day. My contribution to the cleanup has been trivial at best. I hope all the people I see this week, those who know me well and those who only know of me by name, understand and cut me a little slack for how things look around here. I always tried to tell my kids that cleaning up before company comes is a sign of respect for the friends you have visiting your house. I swear, this level of mess is not a reflection of the way I feel about my visitors.

The event this weekend is something we have waited years to see. Despite all my whining about preparing the house, this is something we are definitely excited about. I need to have a conversation with the man to see how much of it I get to publish. It is his party, after all. And he is ready for it. Oh, so ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment