Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Cold

Inspirational song: Love Will Keep Us Together (Captain and Tennille)

I got what I wished for. It snowed all night, and I was awake for far too much of it, enjoying the view. I slept soundly from midnight to two am, and then I sat with my curtains open, reading Facebook, excited as a little girl while the snow came down. It was far too cold to play outside for long, although I did run out in the afternoon wearing just my housecleaning shorts and t-shirt to take pictures, and it was brutally brisk. I checked the old thermometer that probably dates back to the original owner of this house (the widow of the builder who lived here from 1959 until the early 2000s), and it read about 15 degrees. It's only gotten colder since then. The dogs have been stuck inside all day, and the cats are acting stir crazy, as if they'd been getting a lot of outside play time recently and were suddenly cut off. This is what I actually think is fun.

There have been some old snowmobiles on the property for months, that Mr X picked up last winter, thinking he could ride them up to his mountain property. That didn't work out as planned, as the snow was too deep and the conditions of the path were too dodgy. The snowmobiles bogged down, and were unable to perform the tasks they were intended to do, hauling building materials up to the claim. So they've been under a tarp next to my fence, hoping to be passed along to a new owner. I thought I had someone lined up in June, but he backed out. For a month they have sat next to the Unless garden, with a For Sale sign on them. This evening, they finally found a new home. A passer-by saw them over the weekend, and made arrangements to acquire them. I find it fitting that they left here after the first really good snowstorm.

I don't quite know what to do. Facebook's algorithms are messing with me again. Every night I post a link to the newest blog on my Scenes From Smith Park group page, and then I share it to my personal page. I get statistics from Facebook on how many people they show those links to, and in the last week, my numbers went suddenly down. It translates into fewer real hits on the blog page, when fewer people see the link. I assume that I'm not getting enough interaction with likes and comments, but I thought I have had plenty of people interacting with it lately. Everything has just stopped cold, and I refuse to pay money to blast the link to strangers who don't know my story so far. Do I go begging people to interact with the page? Do I post the link in three places, and include my Twitter account? Do I just not worry about it and let my readership fall off of a cliff? I'll always have that stat-bot in France skewing my numbers, so I can pretend I'm still chugging along, right?







No comments:

Post a Comment