Friday, December 2, 2016

The Rise and Fall

Inspirational song; Don't You Eat That Yellow Snow (Frank Zappa)

It started snowing somewhere around 10 this morning. It didn't stop for almost the entire day. At no point during the snow event did it accumulate. In fact, I never once even saw the concrete get damp. It completely evaporated as it neared the ground.

In other news, the PAC-12 Championship Game was tonight. The Buffs were present all four quarters. That's about as much as I can say that is positive. They tried and got nothing out of it. I can hear the band playing the alma mater as the team walks to the tunnel heading to the locker room. Ah, well. There is still a bowl game coming. Don't know which one yet.

This morning, my older daughter called and said that if CU ends up in the Rose Bowl, she would like to have me come out and crash in her apartment, so we can both go to the game. It was half an hour into the conversation before it occurred to me that if we do that, we can go to the Rose Parade. That would be a double bonus. But after the disappointing game that just ended, the announcers are saying we might get skipped for the Rose Bowl in favor of USC, and we could end up in the Cotton Bowl or something else with less prestige. Just as soon as I let myself dream about attending my first bowl game with the Buffs since my senior year of college, the dream is dying.

We were so excited earlier this afternoon. My neighbor and I went to watch the game at a busy sports bar, and Mr X walked down to join us right before kickoff. The first quarter was tense, but we were hanging in there. The second quarter made us a little more nervous, but we only trailed by a touchdown at the half. The third quarter was where it went downhill, and by the end of the third, we were already walking back to the car to listen to the end of the game in our PJs. This game looked more like last year's team than The Rise team. I don't know what happened to them. This school has a pretty terrible record in post-season games, and I suppose this counts as one of those. That last bowl game I went to when I was a senior was also against Washington, also in California. All I remember about it is that we lost, and once we did, the Washington band trombone section mooned our band (with me in it). I'm having flashbacks tonight, even without seeing bare asses waved in my direction. I can feel them, even if they weren't visible this time.




No comments:

Post a Comment