Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The Big Guy

Inspirational song: Here Comes Santa Claus (Gene Autry)

I saw a certain white-haired celebrity for the first time this year while I was at lunch today. I know he has been busy making the rounds, but he managed to fit our luncheon into his schedule. Maybe we can convince Santa to become a Rotarian. He seems the type.

Our last meeting before the biggest holiday weekend of the month was well-attended, for a time when a lot of people are traveling or busy with out of town guests. Rotarians brought their spouses, children, and grandchildren, and we had a harpist, an instrumental trio of high school future Rotary members, and a youth choir to perform for us all. At the end of the program, Santa came out, gave a little speech, and took questions from the kids in attendance. They asked him how he delivered presents in one night, how he gets into houses when so many of them don't have fireplaces anymore, and pertinent questions along those lines. The thing he said that was most relevant to my family was to insist that when you have two or three bins overflowing full of Legos, it does not mean that you need fewer Legos. It means that you need more bins. (I told this to my kids, and my older daughter said "not all heroes wear capes.")

No, I did not have my picture taken with Santa. Sure, that might have been fun, but I let the opportunity slip by. Maybe he'll come by my house Saturday night, and we can take a selfie then.



No comments:

Post a Comment