Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Beautiful People

Inspirational song: Baby, You're a Rich Man (The Beatles)

I've often wondered about what inspires people to go into the careers that they do. How many professions really have a "type?" How hard is it to break out of those patterns? People used to expect to see prim, stern women as librarians, for example, or perhaps frumpy, dumpy, shy ones. That wasn't my experience at all during those years that I worked with librarians. They were sexy, sassy, funny, and foul-mouthed, as much as any other women you may have the good fortune to meet, and they were men as varied as the women (although fewer of them). I've met a lot of tall men with no athletic ability whatsoever who hated when people assumed they should have played basketball either in school or professionally. But then I've met a ton of people whose appearance and personality completely gave away their careers from a mile away. I knew a bunch of ad salesmen who could never have been mistaken for anything else. And I have met soldiers, computer programmers, and artists who were equally recognized on the spot.

I started down that path of inquiry while in an exam room with two incredibly handsome doctors. I wondered (to myself), do only beautiful people elect to be dermatologists? I was a bit intimidated. At least they were both incredibly friendly as well, which was comforting. But I just couldn't imagine these guys in a less glamorous medical specialty. I scolded myself for judging them on appearance at the same time I couldn't stop doing it. I feel so un-evolved tonight.

This is a doctor-heavy month for me. I had my last dermatology appointment today with the stunning doc and his resident, and I have a surgical consult scheduled for later in the week. I don't know whether it's time for such drastic measures already, but I'm considering it because the only days that the diverticulitis has not hurt in the last two months were the few days before and after my gastroenterologist visit last week (when I could have had the presence of mind to ask for updated meds but didn't because I felt fine for a New York minute). Last week the gastroenterologist told me I was too young to have as many problems as I have with this condition, and today the dermatology resident was surprised that I am as old as I am. Does that count as being told twice that I'm still young, or is it one and one? I'm choosing the former. Don't burst my bubble if you think it's the other one.

No comments:

Post a Comment