Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Lecture Me

Inspirational song: Waitin' in School (Ricky Nelson)

Is it a good thing to be an information junkie? I am not sure I've met a subject yet that I didn't want to study at least a little bit. I have a working knowledge of enough disciplines to consider myself a Renaissance woman, although I admit I'm closer to the jack of all trades, master of none level on much of it. While I have only met one art form I am certain completely eludes me (composing music), I have just a handful of sciences in my hip pocket. Alas, I gave up advanced mathematics without offering enough of a fight, after one bad experience in calculus. I keep promising myself I'll go back someday. My current kick is to traipse through the medical sciences, sampling little nuggets of endocrinology and nutrition, with a soupcon of bariatrics. I have always been interested in health and medicine, but I knew early on I'd never make it as a doctor, mostly because doctors have to get up close to random strangers, and I get way too squeamish about touching humans sometimes. That, and that whole gave-up-early-on-math thing.

I'm about halfway through a six-plus hour lecture series on "the Aetiology of Obesity," by Jason Fung. So far, he has provided data to support a lot of things that I already knew, specifically how much of a problem insulin can be, whether one is diabetic or not. (I am not, but I have had other issues with insulin that have set me on a decades-long journey through the health industry, encountering doctors with vastly differing theories on how to treat me and the other women in my family with this same condition.) I have already made drastic changes to my diet, and have embraced the Wheat Belly lifestyle with the enthusiasm of a zealot (according to my husband, who thinks I've joined a cult). All of the changes I've made have had a positive impact on me, but I'm not suddenly rushing out to buy smaller clothes, unlike most of the people who are as devoted to WB as I. So I went looking for more information, like the junkie that I am. This Dr Fung is helping me understand how I got to where I am, but so far, I'm only confused by my attempts to fit his teachings in with Dr Davis', and what I've already experience with WB. So both carbohydrates and proteins produce insulin spikes? What does that leave to eat? I suppose I'll be on the avocado and tallow diet one of these days. It doesn't sound like much fun, but I bet my skin and hair will look great.

Joking aside, I am not about to throw out my vegetables, and just try to convince me that I'll ever stop consuming dead animals. Watch me laugh at you as I turn away and make sauteed cabbage and smoked sausage, and eat like it's going out of style. I'm going to keep viewing these lectures, until I get to the end, and then see how I can creatively adapt what I'm already doing. If I invent some new, exciting dishes, I will share them. I'm already working on some new ones (today's was turning an Against All Grain recipe for sweet and sour meatballs into a goulash-type dish that was terrific, and I still haven't shared the kale-purple cabbage-smoked sausage heaven from a few days ago). In good time I'll have them written out to offer to you. When I'm done with these lectures, I will turn around and do a little teaching of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment