Monday, January 5, 2015

Endless War

Inspirational song: Two Tribes (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)

This has to stop. Twice today my hands have been in the middle of this endless war between the two youngest felines, to their detriment. I was scratched and bitten, as a proxy victim in the fight that never ends. I'm willing to take some of the blame for the damage to my hand from Athena. I did find it incredibly amusing for far too long that she was mean and bitey, and for over a year I have let her play-bite me while I cooed at her for being tough and made of evil. But when she and Zoe are squaring off, and I'm trying to pet her to calm her down, she completely forgets that our biting game is supposed to be in good fun. She punctured the skin twice today, and tried to make sure I felt her ire in the tendon in my index finger as well. I should have developed better reflexes by now. I've had plenty of practice at this. It only takes a split second for her to go from cute and sweet to little black bundle of hell spawn. There is never enough time to get out of the way, especially since the biggest offense I can offer her is to try to move her slightly when she's purring and cuddling. A gift of a pet-safe calming ointment arrived this evening, and I have tried to offer a taste it to Athena and Zoe. No idea whether it will help. I may be ordering a plug-in pheromone diffuser (the same one the vet recommended the day Zoe arrived here) tomorrow to work in conjunction with it. I refuse to completely segregate my household. If they continue to be at war, I am going to arm myself as well. I will start carrying around a squirt gun in a hip holster, and change their attitudes the old fashioned way, with distance weapons and the voice of doom echoing from above.

Is it bad that I've kind of been backing off, and hoping they'll just fight it out, and then be best friends after that? It's how it works in the movies. But then where would we be, with Crazy Eyes Athena and Zoe the Destroyer working in tandem? We might not survive that. They would ally against us, and we would all be in peril.

No comments:

Post a Comment