Monday, May 18, 2015

Flexible Plans

Inspirational song: Relax (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)

Sigh. Our plans are in flux again. I really don't know how things are going to change, other than having a vague idea that things are shifting to the right. Some opportunities might be less solid all of a sudden, but there are backup plans, if I just get serious about pursuing them. (They involve schooling, so I have to work out some details before I know how viable these plans are.) I'm surprised at how well I'm handling this surprise news. Three days ago, I might have fallen apart, but since then, I've been working on getting my mind and body back to rights. I had Bonfire, Beach, and Massage, in that order, over the last three days. I'm as flexible as I can possibly be. Turns out that I really needed to be.

I said goodbye to my massage therapist this evening. I have been steadfastly loyal to him for nearly three years. If I could, I would take him with us when we go. He is perceptive and kind, and he has the best elbows in the business. He would have no problem making a healthy living out west. But he has no plans to move, and I had to say a fond farewell instead. I gave him a thank you card and a small gift, and he gave me the best massage ever (and he was already the most fantastic therapist I'd ever met.) Now I'm home and pretending that someday our paths will cross again. I hope it's true. Even if it's not, I hope the rest of his life is full of wonder and good fortune. Vaya con dios, young friend.

Murray got new wheels today. The old wheels were functional, but the struts were at the maximum extension available, and it was wearing them out. The new ones are enormous. The bags said 12 inches, but apparently that measurement applies to the shaft of the strut. The wheels are closer to 16 inches across. Murray had learned to lie down and rest even while he is snapped in the wheelchair, by lowering on his elbows and snoozing, with his butt in the air. We aren't sure whether he will be able to relax properly in the new set up. He'd basically have to sleep dangling straight down. This will require some adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment