Thursday, May 21, 2015

Full of It

Inspirational song: Thursday (Jim Croce)

I grew up a little today. I managed to face a few of my obligations, without much of a struggle. Several rooms are cleaner, and I've started purging food that will not travel with us. I donated and I threw stuff away. Another ten days like this and I will really have something. I need to do the math. Do I have at least ten days left to be able to accomplish that? Just barely, I think. The time for play is over. That's a shame. I'm good at playing and blowing off critical tasks.

I have been trying to explain to the man how bad the spiders were last year. He didn't believe me. Now that he has moved a half dozen of them for me (and got caught not moving them far enough away from the house that I made him re-relocate the last one all the way to the thicket), and I have identified another four or five to go tomorrow, he might be cluing in. I tried to prune back the azaleas and boxwoods from the front walk, but I could only get so far around the next class of spiders to graduate from the front to the wilds in the back. They're everywhere. My goal was to open up the visual space along the walk, so that any prospective buyers don't feel like the house is closed off, or that they need a machete to reach the front door. I did make good progress toward that goal. I'll get farther when I can fully suit up for it. (I was chased off when I uncovered poison ivy beneath the junipers. After having a corset of rash a couple months ago, there is no way I was going to pull it ungloved, wearing a tank top and capri pants. I'm not as dumb as I look.)

We closed the evening over a glass of wine and a fire. Judging from how the conversation went, I think we are both tired of playing the game. We have started considering buying a couple acres in the mountains, as long as we can afford it with cash, and there's a road that isn't too steep to drag a couple shipping containers up it. Okay, maybe we aren't that serious about this new wrinkle, but at this point, I'm keeping an open mind. It's this, or we hitch a dogsled to Bump and Elsa, and live in an army surplus tent on his mining claim. But even that has flaws -- the army surplus store in Boulder closed down last year. I wonder how hard it would be to build a small log cabin out of aspens. All I want is a house. I'm long past being picky about where it is anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment