Saturday, May 30, 2015

One Last Bonfire

Inspirational song: Meet On the Ledge (Fairport Convention)

On any normal Saturday, the things we accomplished by early afternoon would count as a very productive day. We looked at our schedule for the day, and sighed dispiritedly, knowing we were behind the power curve. I blogged early (relatively) last night, so we could turn our overachieving behinds to grouting the tile we laid in two different bathrooms. We wrapped up at 0100, and woke around 0630 to finish washing the grout haze off the tiles. We hit the ground running, painting inside and out, packing up the Model T computer, mowing the grass (these last two were thankfully not my jobs), and then we took off for the auto shop out in the country, to install the transmission in the Jeep. I even helped, operating the engine lift, and it still took twice as long as Mr S-P predicted it would. We came home to more work, but despite our best efforts, we still haven't managed to install a single toilet upstairs in the remodeled bathrooms. Eventually we had to stop working, because we were obligated to play.

Tonight was our last real Bonfire. It's not the last time we will be with the gang, and it might not be the last time we are on the premises of Bonfire Gardens. But this was the last party night with all of us together before we are moved to higher elevations. I'm not ready to share everything from this evening. I need to hold it close and squeeze all the emotion out of it while it's fresh. I'm afraid if I don't wallow in it now, I will waste the good parts. Suffice it to say that most of it was worth imprinting on my memory, and a few little gems may end up being inside jokes forever. Especially if we can create a drink worthy of the name "rusty steelhead." It will most likely involve Guiness and Kentucky  bourbon.

I felt an instant attachment to South Carolina when we moved here. I love it down here, and I don't really want to leave it. As much as I love the Low Country and all it has to offer, no one part of it can hold a candle to Bonfire. I have always been accepted and at peace when I'm there. It's where I go to feed my soul, let my hair down, and release my frustrations. It's a magical garden full of art and creativity, with a side of hedonism. It will stand as the best part of some of the best years of my life. While this chapter is closing for me, I truly believe there will be epilogues. We will meet again. We will come back to visit, and we will demand that the denizens of Bonfire road trip out to see us. This may look like an end, but it is really just intermission.

No comments:

Post a Comment