Thursday, March 29, 2018

A Whole New World

Inspirational song: Zomby Woof (Frank Zappa)

Anybody's whole life change in a day? Anyone? Mine did. And I'm over-the-moon happy about it.

As promised, the Rotary foreign exchange student, hereafter known as XS, moved in first thing this morning. Well, nearly first thing. First we had to clean up the shattered glass that Harvey spread over every inch of the kitchen, because I so foolishly left a pint glass with a few ounces of water on the counter by the stove, and he had to stick his paws in it and tip it over, onto the tile floor. But after that, while I was still panicking, trying to clear out space in the under-bed storage and in the closet of the guest room that XS is taking, her previous host mom brought her here.

I've spent the day showing her where things are, and assuring her over and over that we are the most casual, laid-back, non-judgemental people she could possibly hope to live with. Her bedtime hours are her own choice, her television viewing is also up to her, and she's allowed to have overnight guests as she pleases. Her last host family had tween daughters who had to go to bed early, and the house was significantly more sedate than this one. When I first suggested she move in, I warned her we were boisterous and silly, and so far we have proven to be so. Early estimates show that she appreciates the freedom to be a loud teenager, and she's looking forward to her time here.

We went shopping for the few things I didn't have on hand for her arrival, like a laundry basket specifically for her use, and snack foods that meet her tastes to take to school. Luckily she was on spring break, so she has time to get settled, unpack, restock, and rest. I made her a cheat sheet with everyone's name on it, listing our kids, friends, and pets names--all the way down to the lizards. I may add to as she meets extended family, like my in-laws who have graciously opened the Easter dinner invitation to include her.

She was a little worn out from the move and new surroundings, so when it came time for us to do our usual Thursday game group, we played next door, and let her wind down with a simple dinner and quiet time. While we were fighting zombie wolves in D&D, she was taking a warm bath and getting acquainted with the cats here. I hope she feels like one of the family very soon, and starts treating my home as her own. As far as I am concerned, she *is* one of the family now. I told her, just like Horace Slughorn in the Harry Potter series, I collect people. She is one of mine now.


For the record, a pint glass was not the only thing Harvey threw on the floor today. Good thing he did it before I mopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment