Thursday, March 15, 2018

Hospitality

Inspirational song: Pleasant Valley Sunday (The Monkees)

I didn't really have any energy this afternoon, to prep for game night. I lay down for a nap and drifted in and out as long as I could, to recharge. And then, with just over an hour and a half to spare, I ran through a basic clean of carpets, dishes, counters, and bathroom, so I couldn't procrastinate further. And then I set about making my Thursday night food offerings. This week was inspired by giant clamshells full of grapes and strawberries, plus the ham I found at Costco. I did a cold cuts spread, to include some of the cheeses we've been meaning to eat and left vacuum sealed in the fridge and some fresh vegetables that needed to be eaten while they were indeed fresh. I'm not sure what guided me to the crystal platters and grandma's china that doesn't get used often. But I covered the peninsula in pretty dishes, and added nuts, M&Ms, and honey to make it fancy.

It was an impulse I couldn't deny, trying to make the simple snacks look elegant. When our old college roommate was the first to arrive, I told him that it was obviously true: you can take the military wife out of the spouses club, but it's much harder to take the spouses club out of the military wife. This was my whole life for years, most especially at the last four assignments, in  North Dakota, California, New Mexico and South Carolina. I learned well from those women. If people come to your house to play games or have a meeting, you feed them, and you make it look good, no matter what it is. There's almost always a protein, there's definitely always a sweet, and there is absolutely, definitely, what are you kidding why wouldn't there be an alcoholic option. I found a bottle of Andre of dubious origin (I have no idea who bought this) in my wine fridge, and I set out orange juice. All of those heathens drank beer, and I had all the mimosas to myself. Guess none of them had fond memories of bunco nights to reminisce about.

I saw my rheumatologist today. Mostly just checked in and complained about everything hurting. She and I agreed that my experiment is worth continuing, though. I've already dropped off my prescription to double the dose of the LDN. The next month should be illuminating. Something has got to give on my foot pain, or I'm gonna do a 180 and do anything it takes to make the crushing, tearing, and burning stop.

It has been a few weeks since I gave an update on Bump. He is responding relatively well to prednisone. It has kept him with us for almost a month longer than I expected so far, and he is still doing his best. He is thin as a rail, and every time I touch him I feel bones and fur, no muscles or padding. He is frequently enthusiastic about eating, but he still gets tired of the usual slurry of some combination of eggs, beef, chicken, and rice every once in a while. I tried to get pictures of him while Harvey was flirting with him from below, but the messenger notification icon got in the way on my camera screen, and I missed out. He eventually sat still long enough for me to get just him.





No comments:

Post a Comment