Saturday, March 3, 2018

Not So Bright

Inspirational song: It Ain't That Pretty at All (Warren Zevon)

There was a training in Boulder today, and I was supposed to be at it. I missed one last Tuesday, because I didn't get my car back in time. (I could have rushed and gotten there late, but by then I was tired and didn't want to push it.) I tried to make it today. I drove in circles trying to find the building. It took me ten minutes past the start time just to put eyes on the sign in the ratty industrial complex that pointed in the general direction of the right office. I drove around the parking lot for another five minutes, looking for an open parking place. There were exactly four. One was handicapped, and while I'm having more trouble getting around than usual, I do not have legal permission to park there. One had a sign for a different business in the complex, with a "violators will be towed" message. A third had a fire hydrant in it. The fourth was next to a rolling dumpster. Strike four. There were no side streets where I could have driven a little distance and walked. I could have gone back down to the next industrial complex where I got lost the first time, where there was a pot shop and a thrift store, but I would have had to have walked across an overgrown field of dead weeds and a drainage ditch. By the time I had to make the choice, I was fifteen minutes late for the training, and I was starting to realize how bad my headache was and how little interest I had in sitting through a powerpoint presentation on computer troubleshooting voter registration for the caucus. I gave up and drove home, feeling like crap.

There was not a cloud in the sky today. The sunlight at a mile above sea level is brutal. At least it is for a person like me. All the cyclists were out today, to take advantage of a warm, sunny weekend day. Me, I was glad I had the muscle memory to get me home from Boulder as the intense light made me feel worse and worse. I had to stop at Staples to buy a specific sort of paper, and walking the twenty-five steps across the parking lot was more than I could handle. I ended up at home, cranky, and unwilling to do anything for the rest of the day. I can't tell you how much I loved having a roof over my head today. At one point, at sunset, I saw Athena grooming herself in the yellow light streaming in from the sliding glass door. She looked so pretty in the Golden Hour glow, but I was glad to be tucked away in the shadows.

I was sitting here, with a sleepy kitten on my lap, pondering writing about the light, when Mr S-P started texting me about how beautiful the moonrise was tonight. He was down in Boulder, and took a quick detour up Flagstaff mountain to take a picture of it. This is the kind of light I can appreciate. Forget that sun nonsense. Give me a pretty moon over the horizon, and suddenly I'm a happy girl.




No comments:

Post a Comment