Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Any Minute Now

Inspirational song: People Get Ready (Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck)

As I begin to write, there are fewer than 12 hours left until the exchange student is due to arrive. I had my panic two days ago that I hadn't gotten notification that the paperwork was complete. This afternoon, I was reassured that all was ready and the lights were green. Her current host mom is bringing her here at around the time I usually have my first cup of coffee. I'm guessing that the timing is because that's when she needs to leave for work, not that she's anxious to let XS move along.

I tore my house apart last week, to clean out stuff, and I've only slowly been rewashing and reloading cabinets and sweeping and mopping and all the things I started in earnest. I needed to go faster, and I just didn't. (I did confess this to some extent yesterday when I talked about how late I am with everything.) The guest room is ready enough though. I had Mr S-P pull an antique dresser out of storage, and I put it in there yesterday. I need to pull a plastic underbed storage box full of shoes out of there, plus some fabric and my giant sewing box out of the way too. I'm going to let XS chose how to arrange things, so I'm going to call it done for now. I still have to tidy the dining room and kitchen first thing in the morning, before her last host mom sees the house.

I want to spruce up the front yard soon, but the weather is finally acting like springtime in the Rockies. It rained at lunchtime, and by mid afternoon, it was snowing giant sand-dollar-sized snowflakes. It was mesmerizing to watch. By the time we went next door for game night, it had all melted, but it was fun while it lasted. The mountains are going to be lovely in the morning. But it all means it's not yet time to start setting plants back outside. Maybe I'll focus on scrubbing the mud off of the patio instead, to feed my instincts to get this place ready for any Rotarians who might come over to take XS out for activities.



No comments:

Post a Comment