Sunday, March 4, 2018

La-La

Inspirational song: Hooray for Hollywood (Doris Day)

Once upon a time, it was a really big deal. I watched the Oscars with all of the wonder and secret hopes of a girl who dreamed of finding a way to be there.... someday. My ideas of how or why changed several times over. I was going to be a costume designer. I was going to be a supporting actress swept from obscurity by some director who saw hidden talent in me that even I didn't know was there. I was going to sing a nominated song. I don't have the energy to pursue anything like that now, but I still sort of dream about writing a story that could eventually be adapted to a screenplay. (There are very specific style guidelines for screenplays that I never learned. I'd leave adaptation to professionals, given the chance.) I never missed the show when I was younger. It was hit or miss while the kids were growing up, because sometimes we were just too busy. I skipped the last couple of years, because I wasn't in the right frame of mind to bother. This year, I needed it more than I care to admit. I've been overwhelmed by chaos, as have probably two thirds of the rest of the people in this country. Non-fiction life has been stressful, yet horribly addictive. It was time to put some space between me and it, so I could breathe.

I've only seen a few of the movies nominated tonight. I saw Dunkirk and The Post. I saw Star Wars: Last Jedi and Bladerunner 2049. I have Get Out on my DVR, where I've been meaning to watch it for months. I think that's it. Lots of them looked really good on the awards show. Not sure where I need to start (other than finally watching Get Out). I'm open to suggestions for which movie of the last year is mandatory viewing.

Watching all of the gorgeous dresses, or even just thinking about them before the show started, pushed me to make progress on the design that has been flummoxing me for weeks. I need to make a robe that completely unzips, and I have been stuck on how to do the lap and facing to blend with the basic design we settled on. I sat in the hot tub and watched videos on different methods of zipper placket construction, and now I think I'm past the worst obstacle. Not quite ready for my Oscar closeup, but progress nonetheless.

I've been thinking this for a couple weeks, and as of tonight, it is confirmed. Lupita Nyong'o is the most perfect human of her generation. In a world of botox and collagen implants, her natural beauty is all the more startling. I think I found my new Hollywood crush.


No comments:

Post a Comment