Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Enjoy the Silence

Inspirational song: What I Am (Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians)

Sometimes it's the smallest thing that brings everything back to rights. The meeting tonight was every bit as challenging as I expected, but I made it through to the other side. I have to take my new car to be detailed after a crock pot full of chili tipped over in it, but that's a different problem for a different day.

I came home expecting to find the man live-streaming our daughter's band concert on the school site, but instead I found him out on the deck, feet up, drinking a beer, with tiki torches lit, and the most amazing peace surrounding him. The main road into our development is on the other side of a thicket, through which our back fence runs. Cars go past with no more sound than a gust of wind. The air is absolutely still. The bushes rustle as the cats get their first authorized nighttime out since we moved here, and the little red headed dog paces the perimeter, keeping us safe from rodents. It is enough to make me not mind that the concert wasn't available after all.

My brother shared one of those memes that race around social media, this one a cute photo of young John Lennon, quoting him as saying, "time enjoyed wasting is not time wasted," or words to that effect. How funny that a silly meme could crystallize my intentions so well. That is exactly what I plan to do, the moment my obligations are over. I had a plan. Now I have a slogan. A philosophy. It's what I am about, as of now. You what you are, or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment