Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Anticipating the Blooms

Inspirational song: London Calling (The Clash)

I love mornings like this. It is overcast, cool, and still wet from yesterday's rain. I could happily live in a climate like this all the time, although I have been heretofore reluctant to be in the Pacific Northwest. One thing I have to tolerate to be here is the sad realization that not everywhere smells good after a spring rain. Rains here often stir up more pungent scents, such as the water treatment plant a few miles away, and on really unfortunate days, the paper mill a couple municipalities away. I expect a brief respite from these circumstances soon. As it was when we first visited before the move, the masses of tea olive hedges are about to bloom. For that first week, I was blissfully unaware of the paper mill or any of the rest. When I chose my Park, one of the most important features that convinced me this place was meant for me was the giant thicket along the back perimeter, almost half of which is ten foot or higher tea olives.

If ever I wondered why we use the word squirrely to describe charmingly naughty behavior, living here clears up any question. I just watched a squirrel leap to spill a large handful of birdseed and the race off to attempt to carry away a stripped corn cob off its hanger. Yesterday I saw one threaded all the way through a handmade pottery feeder, with his head poking out one side and his ass hanging fully out the other. I need to be faster with the camera, for certain.

I was asked whether the mystery rose had bloomed yet. Still no, but it is starting to hint at being a pale color, possibly yellow. I am enjoying the suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment