Sunday, May 11, 2014

Bacchanalia

Inspirational song: Freakin' at the Freaker's Ball (Dr Hook and the Medicine Show)

When the sun comes up tomorrow, and my needy white cat is once again clawing my derriere under the covers, trying to wake me up to serve breakfast, I may be regretting my decision making from earlier tonight. But when you mix sweet tea bourbon in with store-bought sweet tea, even in a 1:1 ratio, it's really hard to tell you're drinking anything except sugar water. And when you're feeling stressed out after being a social butterfly, and putting off important to-do items until there is a bottleneck of necessary projects, those sweet teas go down too easily, with no real accounting for quantity consumed.

Tonight I gave up my responsible adult persona, and donned the mantle of hedonistic party girl, just like the old days in college. While last night we played dress up and went to a fancy restaurant for the Bonfire leader's birthday, tonight we had a fire, three kinds of fondue (oil for meats, cheese, and chocolate), and an extended period of immersion drinking (you can't really call it swimming). I wish I could share some of the raunchiest conversation with all of you, but it's best that I don't. It would take far too long to explain why I laughed uncontrollably for ten minutes to a Magnum PI comparison, and it would ruin any chances I have of hiding my sophomoric side. I'm so happy I have a safe zone where I can go let my hair down, forget rules and etiquette, and indulge in a little competition for who can be the wildest child around the campfire. I love these people so much for egging me on, encouraging a little bad behavior, and keeping me coming back for more. After a Bonfire night, my blood pressure is lower, my brain chemistry is rebalanced, and I feel like I have a place to belong. I don't ever want to leave this place, this group. Now that I have been accepted, I want to be a member for life.

I do have to go back to reality tomorrow. I have an alarm set already, so I can get out before the sun gets hot. I need to mow, and before I do that, I need to sharpen the blades on the mower. There are still a few plants that were never removed from their nursery pots. I have three abandoned craft projects that must be addressed posthaste. And I have a vitally important package to prepare for shipment, to reach its destination safely before the end of the month. I think this last one will be the primary focus for tomorrow. While other mothers are at brunch tomorrow, I need to be at work. Party time is over. I have a bottleneck to work loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment