Saturday, May 3, 2014

Ponies

Inspirational song: My Old Kentucky Home (Stephen Foster)

I've been looking forward to today for weeks. Once my roses started taking off, I got it in my head I wanted to have friends over for the Kentucky Derby, to watch the run for the roses. Tonight was the night. We had dinner al fresco, and recorded the race so we didn't have to rush. It definitely took the pressure off, and I needed that. I had barely started cooking by race time, and I needed my friends' assistance to put everything together. As collaborative efforts go, today was pretty spectacular. It was an exception to that rule about too many cooks. I planned the menu based on what I felt like eating, and then formed a narrative to justify it. I felt like making something with cucumbers, carrots, apples, and chicken. With a tiny peek at Pinterest for a springboard from which to jump, and discussion with the ladies, we decided on a flavorful carrot soup, baked cinnamon-filled apples, salad, sliced cucumbers topped with herbed cream cheese, and grilled lemon chicken. The story I told myself was that horses eat apples and carrots, and while I can't have Kentucky Fried Chicken or cucumber sandwiches anymore, I still have options. (Sure it was a stretch, but I like a theme.) Naturally, we made mint juleps, and naturally, they were awesome. For the chicken, I handed the reins to my friend who made an unbeatable lemon marinade and manned the grill so I could work elsewhere. For a special night, I pulled out my grandmother's china plates, to make it all look as good as it tasted. I told my buddies, who were doing exactly the same thing I was, that I'm so glad we live in a time when it's socially acceptable to stop and photograph your meal before you eat. I had to have something for the blog.

I had intended to bring in a lot more cut flowers than I did, making centerpieces and filling vases with them. But since procrastination is my middle name, I ran out of time to make any arrangements before my friends arrived. I did have my hat, and it served as an acceptable decoration, on and off my head. I had shown the girls pictures of the hat as I made it, and until they got right up on top of it, they didn't realize it was made with real flowers, not silk. With all those gorgeous roses growing right next to my house, why on earth would I go buy fake ones? I'm trying not to be sad over the transitory nature of that particular craft. It will be gone so soon, but isn't that appropriate for an event that is the quickest of all the popular sporting events? They say it's the best two minutes in sports. I could agree with that.

I based my pick for the race on name, at first, choosing Vicar's In Trouble. Then I found out he was being ridden by one of the few female jockeys out there, and I liked him even more. My friends made their choices, but one of them said that even though she was sticking with her selection, it was clear that California Chrome was going to win, judging from how often they featured him in the leadup to the race. My horse had what seemed to be a promising start, spending most of the race between sixth and fourth place. But by the time they rounded the final turn, he had fallen back, and California Chrome lived up to all of the pre-race hype. We didn't bet any money on it, I just needed someone to cheer for. Now the question is, who will still be healthy and rested for the Preakness and Belmont Stakes? If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) there hasn't been a Triple Crown winner since I was a little kid. I'm ready for another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment