Thursday, May 8, 2014

Needing Encouragement

Inspirational song: Save a Prayer (Duran Duran)

I needed a time out today. I've had so much churning and scheming and wondering lately, I needed to find a way to distract myself all day. After I let Bones electrify the muscles in both of my calves with his needles of doom, my mah jongg master and I ran away from home. Not forever, but long enough to get a change of scenery and restock our liquor cabinets. The Firefly distillery is down the coast from us, on one of the islands south of here, and they have special flavors at the source that we can't get in a run of the mill liquor store. She went seeking enough of the perishable lemonade vodka to loosen up a big party she is attending soon, and I took the chance to get more of the sweet tea bourbon I love (way better than the ST vodka), and try the mint tea vodka that is not sold in stores. My man has a weakness for mint lemonade that his family always had at summer gatherings, and I figured he could combine the two to make a really potent Arnold Palmer. The distillery and its parent winery are deep, deep in the sticks, off one of those roads where the tree canopy completely covers the road, and the Spanish moss drips off of every overhang. There's a gator (at least one) who lives part-time in their retention pond, and they have a collection of animals on the property. I could only see chickens and a tom turkey from where we parked, but I remember hearing they had rabbits and other animals tucked in there. Not sure where the young deer in the grape fields came from, whether it was the little zoo or the surrounding woods, but she was really reluctant to have her picture taken. We tried backing up the car to draw even with her, and she kept moving just out of our reach. I decided I need little hand-painted directional signs like they had for my Park. But I suppose to copy them exactly means I will have to hide a still down by the thicket first.

I've come a long way toward making some of the decisions for how I want to spend the second half of the year. Not ready to make any firm commitments yet, but I'm definitely going for a metaphorical test drive tomorrow. I've spent enough time in my hidey-hole, and it's time to get my face out there and start volunteering again. At least I think it is. I will see how well I handle responsibility tomorrow. I need to find activities to make the time pass faster while I wait for the man to make his return. And I need to find something to keep my mind off of wondering what the next step will be for him. We have talked, and evaluated all the options, and now it's just a matter of him deciding what actions are appropriate now. Whatever it will be, I'm going to be counting the seconds until he's home and the next adventure begins. Think happy thoughts for us. No matter what, there will be major changes before a year is out. I may need advice, or sympathy, or help. Who knows?

For the first time in ages, I was at a family-run plant nursery where I went through rows and rows of gorgeous plants, but didn't feel like I couldn't leave without something to plant here. I didn't leave completely empty-handed, but for once I didn't select a single thing to plant on my own property. I was very tempted by a Texas sage, which I hadn't seen around these parts in three years of looking, but I really can't think of anyplace I could put it where it wouldn't drown. I may finally be satisfied with how much I have planted. Now if I was only satisfied with how everything I planted was growing. It has been two months since I started all the seeds, and the okra still looks like it's a couple weeks old. Maybe it needs to be moved out into the hot sun. I will keep watering and cheering it on, and I will try to find it a hotter spot to grow.

It is taking me forever to write. I'm on kittenwatch. No, not in my house. The same British Columbian foster mama I watched raise the Cupcake Kittens is now fostering pregnant mama Calypso. The Tiny Dancer kittens are due sometime in the next day. How am I going to get any sleep or go volunteer tomorrow when all I want to do is be one of the 800 or so people hovering like virtual fairy godparents over the birth of these babies? I need to be careful what I ask for. If I need distractions to keep me from obsessing about what the next career moves will be, I will get it in the time suck of watching a litter of kittens appear and grow. God bless the internet. It's made of cats.


No comments:

Post a Comment