Tuesday, May 20, 2014

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Inspirational song: Gentleman's Excuse Me (Fish)

I thought I was making a lot of progress. I was gaining confidence, on numerous fronts, and maybe starting to get a little cocky that I had solved most of my problems. It never is that easy. One step forward, two steps back. I thought that a few days in isolation, the Queen of Cricketstan was starting to feel better and get her own head on straight. So last night, as we tried to drift off to sleep, she and I both resting our heads on my pillow, I heard a couple someones trying to force their way into my bedroom. I asked the calico whether she minded, but didn't expect an answer, and I got up in the dark to open my bedroom door and hope for the best. The skinny old lady immediately ran back to sit on the step up to her food bowl, to growl and keep the Minions away from her special place. I chased off the big huntress, but before I could get back to remove the boy, he jumped the calico. The sweetest boy in the world, and he has to turn into a jerk at two o'clock in the morning. Just my luck. I suspect that all the progress we made in a week of keeping her isolated and safe has just been undone. I have to start over, convincing her that she's still safe here.

I have one visit left with Bones, the physical therapist I revere. After the week I had, with increased foot pain, including cramping at inopportune moments, clicking and popping of the toes, and Achilles tendons so tight my masseur wondered what was suddenly going wrong, it looks like I need to beg my PCM for an extension on the prescription to physical therapy. Bones wanted to needle in the side of my heels, which he has never done before, but I was running out of time. I had hoped that I was going to "graduate" from there next week. It looks like I may need a month or more of treatment yet. I felt horrible going in there one visit from the end and telling him I backslid this far. Thankfully, he and I get along very well, and he supports the idea of me sticking around for a little longer.

I'm still trying to perfect the decor of the deck. I'm getting so close. I went digging through the garage, trying to find a red glass lantern I know I have somewhere. It's thoroughly hidden in the garage. I looked around a bit, hoping that one box somewhere will be labeled, "2011--living room decorations and red lantern." (Several moves ago I demanded that we mark each box with the year it was packed and as many of the primary contents as possible. I wasn't willing to have boxes that were cryptically marked "bedroom.") So far, I haven't found what I was looking for, but I did find some of my earliest pottery projects, that I had labeled in such a way that they should have been unpacked years ago. I am glad I found them. I had forgotten how quickly I was building skill with the pottery wheel. But it has been years since I touched wet clay. I probably have to start all over again. I hate letting skills decay. How soon before I can find a pottery studio where I can work again?

No comments:

Post a Comment