Sunday, June 1, 2014

Burnout

Inspirational song: Man of a Thousand Faces (Marillion)

I had a huge burst of energy, and took my latest art project outside to work on it. Everyone else was already outside, after the door blew open in the wind, and I didn't see the harm in leaving it open on a perfect day. A front was blowing through, so although it was sunny all day, the air was fresh and cool. How could we not spend the day outside? I've tried several times to set up little art studios in corners of my homes as we danced around the edges of this country, but I can't say that any of them were as joyful to inhabit as this one today. None of those old spaces made me feel like a Disney princess, conversing with the wild birds and squirrels who came up to see whether I minded letting them dine to their hearts' content, and would I not set the dogs on them. It was sometimes hard to see when the dappled sun reflected on the surface of my painting, making it hard to see the pencil marks. The breeze was strong enough I wished I'd put up my hair, rather than let it get in the way. I don't know how many more days this summer will be so perfect for art on the deck. I will take advantage of as many as I can. Or I will wait until September. Either way, I will use that space for art again. It may have a lot of distractions, but it is certainly inspiring.

When last I left my painting, I had sanded down a hunk of half inch plywood, coated it with Polycrilic, and put two coats of dark orange on one side of it. I started today thinking that the orange was too dark, so I used the lightest of the three paint samples I had leftover from my powder room remodel. I hadn't covered four square inches before I knew I hated the lighter color. But I used it as a third protective coat, in my attempt to form a waterproof painting that I can keep outside during the growing season. I went back and applied a thinned out coat of the dark, in a quickly brushed pattern, and stumbled upon the fiery background I sought. I got my figure sketched out, after using blue tape to get my proportions right, and started a little wash of color to start it. And now I regret plowing ahead with the paint. I thought I wanted to back away from the exaggerated pose of the classic brass statuettes I have always seen. Now I don't know whether I like my more realistic pose. Starting over is not an option.

I had forgotten that painting and creating art can actually be tiring. I brought it in to try to address some of the big next steps it needs, and all I could do was stare at it and feel more and more tired. I need to take a break from it again, and sleep on it. Then I can decide whether to try to reposition the arms and legs. For now, I'm just too burned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment