Saturday, June 7, 2014

Turning the Blues into Rainbows

Inspirational song: Devil Inside (INXS)

All day long, I had been planning on writing a corollary to the heavy topic from yesterday. I had been in a contemplative mood since the skies opened and a deluge soaked my whole town. I was set with a song, and part of a topic. And then my plans changed. Or at least, my attitude did. I've been in the dumps too long this week. So tonight, I went over to Bonfire, with a giant bowl of mango chutney to go with the pork chops they were grilling, and sat and talked with the three amigos who essentially live there, until all the kinks were worked out. I think all of us have been overly stressed, and we needed a chance to have a little bit of a pity party to get it all out of our systems. It appears to have worked, even with my poor dyspeptic girlfriend who felt awful all day.

Between us, we had plenty to worry about. Our parents, our spouses, our kids, our jobs, our health... No matter the topic, at least one of us had a gripe to contribute to the soup. We ranted loudly, to hell with the neighbors, and found some solutions, and reached a few stalemates. After a brilliant dinner, we sat in the hot tub for hours, until we were nearly boneless. Somewhere in that long soak, I lost the will to write the post I had planned. I will probably use it for tomorrow, if I can find the opening I need to get it going. But as we conspired and commiserated, I decided I was much more interested in the catharsis. The Bonfire leader says she wonders if we aren't all hitting our mid-life crises. All of us seem to be taking stock of where we are and what we want, and undergoing transformational changes. I know that I am light years ahead of where I was in April of last year when all this project started for me. Maybe she's on to something with her theory. And if we are, I think I like it.

I've had a creative few days. No, I take that back. I've had a creative life, but things have been flowing very well the last couple days. I'm finding simple solutions for problems that might have left me stymied before. I'm back to experimenting with recipes after more than a week of being totally averse to all food. I'm starting to decorate myself with colors and textures that I haven't used in a while. I think I have finally blown all my blues away.

No comments:

Post a Comment