Sunday, June 22, 2014

Polyglots and Doppelgangers

Inspirational song: Rondeau (Jean-Joseph Mouret)

I had a very specific reason for returning to Oklahoma a mere ten days after I left it. The first trip was all about my step dad's art. The second trip was all about comedy. Intelligent, edgy, fanciful comedy. My favorite polyglot came through and played one night in OKC and one night in Tulsa. This makes the third time I have traveled to see Eddie Izzard perform, and each time is getting further east. I guess I'm seeing him from left to right (Hollywood, Boulder, and now Tulsa). I was told by the woman who was so kind as to introduce me to his standup material a decade ago, that in order to win our little "who loves Eddie more" contest, I have to touch him. I suppose if we all hadn't been tired after the show, I could have stood outside next to his tour bus, where there was a huge line of people waiting to do that very thing. But we were indeed tired, and there was a neat little bar a block from the venue calling our names. I didn't even buy a t-shirt, deciding instead that I have plenty of shirts, but a "cake or death" coffee mug would actually see some use. 

I wish I had had some great inspiration to write today, but it really was all about absorbing someone else's wisdom, rather than doing much deep thinking of my own. It's really nice to have vacations that are not all go-go-go. This was a quiet Sunday mother and daughter mani-pedi sort of day. Later, while we waited for the show to start, I did a lot of people watching from my vantage point in the balcony. I saw a lot of people who I thought totally fit the image I have in my mind of typical 2014 Okies. One lady looked like she could have been my great aunt, fifty years ago, the way she styled and held herself. She was adorable. And then I swear I saw myself come down the stairs, one section over. That was disconcerting. She was a dead ringer for me, down to where here bangs parted on the right side of her forehead, and swept to each side in a cowlick. I hope she enjoyed the show as much as I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment