Monday, June 9, 2014

Objets d'Art

Inspirational song: Sugar Daddy (Hedwig and the Angry Inch)

Am I the only one who can't get get over how great Neil Patrick Harris was on the Tonys last night? I had to watch his Hedwig performance again just now, because I can't get that song out of my head. My friends all told me, a dozen years ago or more, how great this (at that time) movie (now Broadway musical) was, but I never followed through to see it. I must make up for lost time. I could have been singing along with this all these years. 

I am in the bosom of my family, for a fleeting moment. The eagerly awaited reception for the art exhibit is tomorrow. I have such high hopes for how this retrospective will be laid out. There are twenty-two of my stepfather's paintings on display. I haven't been to the Oklahoma state Capitol building since I was in grade school. I'm having trouble imagining it. I want it to be everything his art and career deserve.

Everyone in my family is so creative. This house is a perfect expression of that. There are gorgeous paintings and sculptures and textiles and furniture all around my parents' home. In the bedroom where I'm staying, there are massive abstracts on the walls. One of them, "Reconfiguration," I don't think I've seen in person before. It's brilliant, and huge. It's nearly four feet square, far bigger than I thought from photos, and it's glossy and has great streaky texture. My mother and brother are artistic as well. There are paintings of my mother's tucked around, and the way the house is decorated in saturated colors and layers of warm woods, silky fabrics, and bright, sparkly accents, show me exactly where I got my love of gypsy style. My brother has had a talent for designing furniture since we were kids, and he puts those skills into everything he builds. Even the raised beds and garden gate he made at my parents' house are works of art. I am both humbled and inspired by the things he has done here.

Travel wears me out, but travel that follows a stressed out night where I couldn't make myself close my eyes for more than three hours (my usual M.O.) wears me out twice as much. I know I will sleep well, and have a big day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment