Sunday, March 6, 2016

Get It Out

Inspirational song: Push It (Salt-N-Pepa)

I'm getting braver. I'm starting to get over my absolute shyness when leads come through our website, and making the contacts I'm supposed to make. For the six weeks I was sick, and for a few weeks leading up to the flare when I just didn't feel like myself, I couldn't conquer those fears. I couldn't focus my mind, and all those weeks I was struggling with health felt like one giant memory wipe. All my fabulous training just fell out of my head. I couldn't put two words together that didn't involve complaining about how horrible I felt. I had no business being on the phone in the first place, much less trying to talk to people about the biggest financial decisions of their lives. But now I'm starting to find my stride again. I'm acting quickly to jump on leads when they register, and I'm reaching out with a clear head and coherent words. The more I practice, the better I'll get. For all that I hold a professional license, I don't consider myself an old pro yet. But I'll get there eventually.

I did put myself back in the habit of learning this week too. Since our sales meeting last week, on the first really good day I'd had in a month and a half, I've been reading more from all the sources who have been sending me training materials since December. I spent my entire floor time today listening to best-practices webinars (recordings thereof), and they gave me confidence. I'll be doing a lot more of this while I have time to do it, before the market takes off for me. To be honest, I hope that I don't have this much time for much longer. I want to be busy for real.

It's that time of year again. It's time for kittens to arrive in British Columbia. Shelly's Tiny Kittens cam is wildly famous now, thanks to her Miracle Kitten Cassidy, the stunningly beautiful tuxie every single one of you has seen by now, with his missing back feet, and his unbreakable will to thrive. Tiny Kittens has been breaking ground for over a year now, taking huge risks with satisfying rewards to learn how to handle feral cats. They have free run of a rural property that is home to an enormous feral population, and they have been working a Trap-Neuter-Release program for a while. A year or so ago they trapped their first feral pregnant mama, a tortie named Sloan, and tried to keep her in captivity long enough to have her babies in a safe environment with plenty of food and no predators. Sisko the Catermelon followed soon after. All of the kittens were socialized and adopted out, and the mamas were spayed and released back to their forest community. At present, there are now three pregnant ferals at Tiny Kittens HQ. One, named Savina, I have yet to see. I didn't tune in when she came in. Then a little gray tabby named Neelix arrived, and I meant to view, but dragged my feet at following the links. Yesterday, yet another deep, dark tortie arrived, and this wide load named Sable is due to pop any day now. She was invited into the room with Neelix, and they have spent the last two days snuggled up like they were raised as bonded sisters. I keep tuning in, ready to watch more kitten births. Sable is enormous, and she has definitely had kittens before. I've heard this means there could be lots of babies, and that the birth might go quickly. It's the waiting that is the hard part. Plus, I did feel a little guilt watching a kitten watch cam while I was surrounded by all four of my cats, lying on my bed this afternoon. But really, it is surprising how fascinating it is to me to watch cat fur ripple from thousands of miles away, knowing that just who was making those ripples will soon be revealed.




No comments:

Post a Comment