Monday, March 21, 2016

Who Ya Gonna Call?


Inspirational song: Ghostbusters (Ray Parker Jr)

I couldn't sleep last night. I tossed and turned all night, and no matter how much I tried to stay in bed, I had to admit defeat about seven thirty this morning. Like most Americans, the first thing I reached for, before my glasses even, was my phone. There was a notification of a new lead from the work website, and immediately, I knew this one was different. I ran to my computer ("ran" being a relative term, as it was first thing in the morning, and I'm usually stiff and sore when I first crawl out of bed) and made sure no one was due on the floor early, to be upset if I swooped in and claimed it. All was clear. But since it wasn't even eight am, and this person requested information after midnight last night, I sent the new lead an email rather than calling. I promised in my email that I would call today, and after my morning meeting, I did. For the first time since I started doing this, the person I called answered the phone. Even more amazing, she was friendly and talkative, and really, really interested in pursuing a home search. I knew going into this that internet leads were tough to work. I've heard that success rates on them are somewhere around three percent. My record has hovered right around zero thus far. So I was shocked when I actually talked to a real, live, nice human being. At the end of the conversation, I made an appointment to meet with said nice lady to further the process in person. And as I hung up the phone, my inner Annie Potts threatened to break loose. I couldn't yell, because I was at the office, but inside, I had my Ghostbusters moment.




My weekly check-in call with the boss started while I was driving back home, and we talked about how and why this time was different with the internet leads. He even celebrated a little with me. And then he pointed out that there was another new lead that came in while we were talking. He encouraged me to try that one too, and damn if that person didn't answer too! She lives in the same town, so I made an appointment to meet her a couple hours after the first one, but I am not sure she was quite as into furthering the conversation as the first. I will find out soon enough how committed she is. Right now, I'm just happy that the seal has been broken on the difficult side of this business.

So pardon me if this is all I can think about tonight, even though I'm sure I have deeper subjects I could have been exploring for this evening's post. I've been struggling so much over the last couple months, while I was too ill to pursue it properly. It's so much of a relief. I'll come back to earth tomorrow. Maybe. Or maybe I won't.


No comments:

Post a Comment