Saturday, March 12, 2016

Running Around

Inspirational song: Walking on Broken Glass (Annie Lennox)

I probably overdid it today, but the burst of productivity and creativity was long overdue. My hands are covered in paint, my driveway is covered in paint, even my husband is covered in paint. Unfortunately, on that last one, it seemed to be transferring from his hands to surfaces all over the inside of the house, no matter how many times he tried to wash up. He got smudges of the dark brown of the eaves all over the imperceptibly-pink white of the crown molding that I painted. Not letting it stress me out. We knew that the trim would have to be touched up once it was installed and the nail holes were filled. While outside, I also prepped some reclaimed wood pieces that we are going to use as yard art, once they are fully primed at painted. I think I still have spray paint in my nostrils, and not on purpose. I'm fairly certain I spent way too much time out in the sun, and even too much time in the shade. By the time we had all the molding cut and painted, and another big stretch of trim paint done on the front of the house, I was completely worn out. My feet hurt like crazy and I could barely put together sentences. I had just enough brain power to be amused when my iPad demonstrated its well-established sense of humor. I'd been listening to randomly-selected songs, and following a live version of "Grandma's Feather Bed" was the set-up to the next song John Denver played at that long-ago concert at the Hollywood Bowl. He went on about his "lovely wife Annie" and said "This is her song," right before the iPad shuffled to the next song, "Walking on Broken Glass," by Annie Lennox. It hadn't been 10 minutes since I complained of that very feeling to my man. I should have known at that moment, as I laughed and told the iPad I appreciated its joke, that I was done for the day and needed a nap.

We had company today. Our neighbor found out at the last moment that his puppy wasn't allowed at an outdoor beer festival in town, and he had to bring him back. The neighbor was upset and disappointed that he had to shut the little guy in his kennel while he was gone, so we invited little Barley over for an all-day play date. He wore out all the big dogs running and playing, and he contributed to my fatigue while I chased him around the yard, removing pine cones, construction twine, and sprinkler parts from his mouth. It's the best way to appreciate a puppy. Playing with one for just long enough to appreciate how cute he is, and then giving him back before he destroys too much of your stuff.









No comments:

Post a Comment