Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Record

Inspirational song: Just for the Record (Marillion)

I'm in two minds. In one, I'm hard on myself. I'm falling behind on where I should be at work. By now, after three months with my license, I ought to have at least one contract by now, and another couple on the way. The boss is telling me how much more I should be reaching out, how many more phone calls and emails and in-person visits. The last two are easy-ish for me, but that first one, not so much. I have to kick into overdrive and really put myself out there, pretty much as of yesterday. In my other mind, I remember that I lost the entire month of February and the second half of January to one of the biggest, most important medical crises of my life (top 5). Not only was I out of my mind in pain, I was out of my mind with distraction. I stopped being able to focus all the way back in November, I think. That's when I first started feeling like I had more fuzzy cotton in my head than brains. I appear to be coming out of it now, and must jump back in with both feet. Both still-sore feet.

I failed to get pictures of it, but the next round of home beautification has begun. We were supposed to get a lovely new garage door this morning, but our installers called to reschedule until next week. Never one to be idle, the man pulled out the five-gallon bucket of paint and started painting the eaves and gutters to match the long-delayed door. I'm no good on a ladder, so I stayed on the ground and painted a downspout and loose trim piece. The trim on this house was kind of a battleship blue, and I really didn't like it. Before that, it was a coral pink, and there were still a few signs of that poking through. The corrugated plastic awning over the front porch is still that ugly pink. We are changing the soffits to the same dark raisin brown as the garden shed. So far only the south and east sides of the garage are done, and already it is a great improvement. I always felt like the blue was the wrong shade for this place, like it was from the wrong era. Somehow it reminded me of the 1980s or 1990s. The dark brown pulls it all back to the right decade for me, or much closer to it anyway. It feels like it is at least pre-1974. Plus, as a bonus, the dark brown really brings out the warm honey color in the blonde brick, rather than the drab gray in the mortar that the old color highlighted. Each new project makes me like this house that much more.

I'm supposed to do a sleep study tonight. I've been hooked up to plenty of monitors in my day, but very few seemed to keep a record of extended details. Every time they took my vitals during hospital stays or post-op surgery recoveries, they woke me to do it. I'll be very curious to hear what goes on while I'm asleep. They once woke me up, after having my gallbladder out, and asked me if I had ever been told my heart beats very slowly. In all these years, I've wondered whether that was a big deal. I told my new doc about it, and she seemed to think it might be. Maybe it will happen tonight, and I'll have a record of it for the first time.







No comments:

Post a Comment