Saturday, April 14, 2018

All My Quadruped Children

Inspirational song: Stand By My Girl (Dan Auerbach)

Athena had a follow up visit with her vet this morning. She said (she being the vet) that it looked like everything was healing well, but there is still a touch of inflammation that warranted another shot of antibiotics. Poor Athena has decided that nothing good comes from going out the front door, because every time she has lately, she has ended up at the animal hospital. It will discourage her from running out toward the busy street, which is a bonus. I was pleased to tell the doc that Athena’s attitude has undergone a 180 degree change. That tooth must have been bothering her for a long time before we understood what was wrong with her. Now that her mouth feels good, she is the sweetest, cuddliest baby of all time. She’s also the hungriest, and I have to convince her that the wet food isn’t going to swell up in her stomach like the kibbles she was on before. She’s getting plenty of calories. She’s just not being plugged so full that she barfs.

I couldn’t bear watching Bruno the anole looking so sad and lonely. I gave it five solid days to make sure that he didn’t have the same infection that Agnes died from. I went to the pet store today to get him crickets, and I had to ask whether they still had the same female anole they had a week ago. The girl who scooped up my crickets was able to find where she was hiding in the cage, and she captured her for me. I freshened up the cage a little before adding the crickets and the new tiny girl. She wandered around a little bit before finding the lizard ladder, and with it, Bruno. He has been watching her with interest, but he hasn’t tried to touch her yet that I’ve witnessed. I think he is a little afraid. I’ll give it a couple days, and I bet it will be all better. I do have to keep a close eye on her however. She has something funky going on at the base of her tail, and I can’t tell whether she is untidy or injured.

I have not yet named baby girl anole. Her name will start with the letter C, and it needs to be an old-fashioned kind of name. I was thinking something like Callista, Calliope, Cassiopeia, or similar. I’m accepting suggestions. I’ve also asked my Croatian teenager for ideas. I will announce it once I decide on her name.





No comments:

Post a Comment