Saturday, April 28, 2018

Opportunistic

Inspirational song: You Make Me So Very Happy (Blood, Sweat, & Tears)

Yes, as expected, I soaked in the new spa twice today. I crawled in it first thing this morning (which was actually more like 9 am, but that story is later), before I ran errands. I had let it heat all the way to 104, just to make sure it would work. The insulation must be great, because it took forever to cool back off to where I like the water. I went out and failed to buy what I had been biding my time to acquire, got a massage, then bought crickets for Bruno and pondered getting the next anole in the series (not yet). I fell asleep hard (again, that story is next) and stumbled through dinner at a local Mexican restaurant that hasn't figured out its gluten free bona fides. XS took her turn in it while I read through Twitter, and then I spent a solid hour trying out every seat. The water felt so good, being fresh and correctly balanced. I read a book for a while, then turned on the jets. I usually just soak, and leave the water nearly still. I have learned just how perfect the "foot blaster" is, and it and I will be best friends.

We shop at Costco for a lot of things. It comes in handy, feeding my impulse to make it rain food and supplies like dollar bills at a strip club whenever guests come a-calling. And when one has no self control about the numbers of cats who belong to our family, it makes it possible to feed all five of them good quality, grain-free food without having to sell my plasma to make ends meet. Unfortunately, most people who shop at Costco know that they don't always have the exact thing you need, when you need it. You learn to take advantage of an opportunity when you see it, because they may not have the same item next time you return. Lately, we've had a hard time arriving on days when they are fully stocked on Nature's Domain cat food and Iams dog food. I had to cave in and buy cat food online, and get a small bag of something that costs twice as much to get them through the week. The two big boxes of cat food arrived on Thursday afternoon. The boys have spent the two days since chewing holes in the corners of the cardboard, making holes big enough that a little white rat of a kitten can get inside. They did this all night last night. I wasn't allowed to sleep more than fifteen minutes at a time, without getting out of bed to shove one cat or another off of the cardboard tower. Don't ask me why I didn't open the boxes and empty the bags into our plastic cat food bin. I didn't have the energy or fortitude to do it at 3 am. Getting out of bed a dozen times over was bad enough. I wasn't going to wake up far enough to do pantry tasks. My tail has been dragging ever since, and I'm still annoyed with all of the cats. I could have spent two more hours in the hot tub if I hadn't needed them for napping this afternoon.

Speaking of things not available and jumping as soon as you see something, I failed to take into account that I am not the only resident of this town who likes orange climbing roses. Two or three weeks ago, I saw a "Lady of Shalott" at the big nursery in town. We were just killing time before a movie started, so I took a photo to remind myself, and then moved on. I went back today, when a David Austin Rose representative was on site, thinking it would be the right time to purchase. They had only gone on sale last weekend, and they sold all 20 out in the first day. I was too late. Now I have to call around, and see who might still have one on the Front Range. There might be one at the big nursery on the southwest side of Fort Colliins. Now I have a quest for a new rose. Two years ago, I was seeking a fragrant white, and eventually found one with Sugar Moon. It's tall and hardy in my back yard, sending out healthy looking shoots all over. I am going to get a Lady of Shalott. This will happen. Just watch me (through a cracked mirror...)






No comments:

Post a Comment