Saturday, April 21, 2018

Like a Princess

Inspirational song: Part of Your World (The Little Mermaid)

It's prom night in these parts. We devoted much of the last week to gathering needed supplies. One of our exchange student's Rotarian fairy godmothers made a gorgeous dress, another provided special dancing shoes. I helped with accessories, hair and makeup, and a last-minute trip to get glittery blue nail polish to match the dress. By the time XS was picked up to go to prom with her friend from school, she looked and felt like a princess. We staged a corner of the living room to get pictures for her, and much to our surprise, she decided her feline nemesis Harvey needed to be in several of them. The pictures could use a little cropping, but I'll worry about that later.

The girls went to the Cheese Importers for dinner before the party. I hope they took more pictures there, as intended. It's not just a cheese shop, bar, and restaurant. It is also a fun European import store that has the most amazing collection of girly trinkets, like soaps, perfumes, art, candies, and ceramics. There are several spots that would serve as a great backdrop for photos. I'm waiting to see what they came up with.

Mr S-P took the girls down to the prom itself, held at the club level of Folsom Stadium on CU. I've been to a class reunion there before, and it was a fun venue for this sort of thing. Now it's my job to wait up and take all the kids home from the after-party back in town. I can't express enough how much I hope this was a proper American experience for her. I hope it was fun and silly and fancy and casual and all of the good things all at once. These are things one tends to remember for decades to come. I want it to be one of the highlights of her year abroad.



No comments:

Post a Comment