Sunday, April 5, 2020

In the Yard

Inspirational song: Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply (Slade)

Spring came calling again today. The day could not have been more lovely. It was just warm enough to be outside in short sleeves, but not so hot to be uncomfortable. I would have appreciated a few more clouds, but we all know I'm weird that way. I was in the yard as much as my lupus would allow, and when I needed to come inside and hide from the sun, I did. It worked out perfectly. 

I'm still struggling to sprout seeds indoors, so I took a risk and carried my starter pots outside to the back stairs, to get some more heat and sun. I left them there, for better or worse, knowing it would get cool tonight but not freeze. I'm hoping for the best. It was suggested I help move the strawberries from the north garden to the south, but I was slow on the draw. He had done most of them by the time I went out to try. I got exactly one set (of two root bundles) dug out. It was way harder than I imagined it would be. I was so glad to have missed most of the work. We concluded the workday by clearing out yard debris and burning it. I broke up the old Christmas wreath that had been dumped out back, waiting for just this day. Then he pruned the spent raspberry canes while I ripped out the overgrown catnip bed. All of that went into the fire pit. 

I hope I didn't end up getting too much sun exposure on the day. I can't be out too much, especially considering I'm on that now-infamous hydroxychloroquine. It makes my sun sensitivity worse. That being said, I'm quite worried about running out of it at the end of the month. People are being incredibly irresponsible, putting unwarranted attention on it without any proof it will help with the Rona. And while they are doing that, the government is buying up stockpiles, doctors who have no business prescribing it are getting it for their friends and families, and people like me are suddenly unable to access the medication that helps us to live. Without it my pain is unbearable, as my body attacks itself relentlessly. The pandemic is taking away everyone's good sense. This is a serious drug. It takes months to get used to (it took 6 months to take away significant pain for me). It can cause serious side effects, particularly a macular degeneration that can cause permanent blindness. And by itself it can cause heart damage. I've heard that adding Zithromax, as has been rumored to be the combo they are pushing, can make the heart arrhythmia worse, potentially fatal. All I can do now is wait to see whether they make enough of it in the next three weeks that I can get my refill through the mail-order pharmacy. Think positive thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment