Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Next Phase

Inspirational song: Stacy's Mom (Fountains of Wayne)

We are getting a preview of the bad times to come. People with names or positions we recognize are starting to go from COVID19 now. Today was the singer of today's inspirational song (and the writer of That Thing You Do!) Adam Schlesinger. Also the judge who presided over the Ramzi Yousef terrorism trial, Judge Kevin Duffy. Physicians and other brave souls from the medical community are dying, and when cable news hosts find out about it, they let us know. Here and there people will write on social media about friends and family members, and those messages get picked up and shared so we the public see. Right now it feels like they come in onsie-twosies. That won't last. 

It took me just a couple of seconds to find the right phrase on Google, "who has died of coronavirus." The two I mentioned above weren't in the link I followed, but a famous architect, a playwright, and some prominent doctors were. I have a sinking feeling that we will go through phases. Right now it's an article, a press release, an obituary. Soon it will be lists. After that... I don't know. Numbness? How quickly will we go through those steps? It is universally acknowledged that the month of March lasted several years. April will feel decades long, but it will probably be two actual weeks before we are just reading the morning and afternoon lists, searching for names we recognize.

Sorry to be such a downer tonight. There's no silver lining to this part. No casual switch to a story about my cats or garden or anything. It's going to get rough in the next month, gang. I'll try to provide light diversions as much as possible. But I do understand what's coming, and I need to steel myself as much as you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment