Thursday, April 16, 2020

Spring Snow

Inspirational song: Keep Your Distance (Richard Thompson)

Quite honestly, I'm impressed. We rarely get solid accumulations of snow here. It's almost like the nearest 14er shadows and blocks us. Most storms split coming down from Estes Park, and they go north and south of us, leaving us warmer and dryer in the middle. There was just too much moisture in the air this time. We were pounded, just like everyone else on the front range. I talked to the boss this morning, and he said it was really deep in Fort Collins, but even we ended up with a foot of snow down here. You know in your heart that I don't mind it one bit. I beg for a "snowmageddon" every year. Twenty-four hours of straight heavy snow was close enough to make me happy.

I couldn't sleep to save my life last night. I had caved in and taken a pain pill, hoping for a reset of lupus symptoms, at least to neutral, if not enough to feel "good" per se. I expected it to make me sleep most of the night through. It had the opposite effect. I woke up every fifteen or twenty minutes, the whole night long. I had left the curtains open just enough to see when the snow arrived, and two or three times each hour, I squinted toward the window, marveling at how heavily it was coming down. I turned off the bipap machine at 5 am, and got up and walked around the house a little. I took photos out the windows, amazed at how bright they looked with just streetlights reflecting on snow. Cell phone cameras have come a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment