Friday, April 17, 2020

OFO

Inspirational song: Ain't That Pretty at All (Warren Zevon)

Five full weeks into complete lockdown, and seven weeks past the start of extreme social distancing, and finally I broke. Other than one trip to my pharmacy three blocks away, and a few walks around the park a block up from the house, I have stayed ridiculously close to home. But I had things I needed to buy, and time was running out for them. I tried ordering from Target, from the baby registry we set up, but apparently they refuse to ship crib mattresses directly to people's homes. Same with J&J baby shampoo and diapers. Who knew? So I made a quick curbside pickup order, and my daughter and I masked up and went for a drive. It was amazing to get to spend an hour with her, getting the items she needs to have ready to go at any moment in the next four weeks. It made just as much sense for us to travel together in her car as for me to get it and drop it off. One way or another we would interact, and this way I got to chat with her. I feel much better now.

We also did a pickup at Staples. I tried to have a microphone delivered, to make our game night videoconferencing work better. I couldn't find any company who could deliver sooner than next Thursday, and most said it would be a full month. Forget that nonsense! I tried websites for four different stores in town where I could pick one up this afternoon, and Staples was my winner. The mic is set up downstairs, just waiting for the next game night.

It occurred to me I haven't done a recipe post in a long time. Now that everyone is stuck in their own kitchens, looking for something new, I have a meal idea to offer. This evening I made one of my earliest creations, something I invented back in our extreme poverty days, pre-military. It's the ugliest dish I make, but it is one of my family's absolute favorites. I didn't put much effort into naming it way back when the kids were preschoolers. We just called it "CTM." I think I've shared this recipe before, but why not offer it up to newer readers? A word of warning about this one: it's hideous when made as intended. Twenty-five years ago, our old college roommate (the one from our game group) saw me make it, and he said, "It looks like you threw up on your plate!" Yeah. Maybe. But it sure doesn't taste like it. It is dreamy.

CTM (Chicken-Tomato-Mozzarella Stuff)

All measurements are relative to your needs.

Dice an onion and sauté in olive oil that has been liberally sprinkled with sesame oil. Just as it begins to soften, add boneless chicken pieces (tenders, breasts, or thighs). Brown on all sides. As chicken cooks through, season heavily with paprika, allspice, and marjoram. Salt if desired. Mince 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic, and stir in. When chicken is nearly done, cut up several whole fresh tomatoes over the pan, so all juices drip into dish. Just before serving, add chunks or shreds of mozzarella cheese, and stir until it melts. Serve over egg noodles (obviously I now choose gluten-free). 

I'd love to know whether anyone tries it and likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment