Monday, April 13, 2020

Tell Me

Inspirational song: Gemini Dream (The Moody Blues)

Audience participation time. Tell me what you’re doing to get through these days? For one, I’m genuinely curious how other people are filling their days. For another, who doesn’t want new ideas for things to do these days? And for good measure, I’ve found that sharing my feelings is a healthy, helpful release. It feels right to offer to be the listener, not just the one doing the unloading. If you want to comment, here or on the SFSP Facebook page, go for it.

We are definitely struggling with sticking to a regular routine here. I think for the first time, neither of us showered or changed out of pajamas and bathrobes all day. It had been one or the other of us thus far, and it only happened a few times. I hope this doesn’t portend a decline in our status.

So far I have maintained mostly healthy habits. Not all, but most. Sure, I’m not exercising to speak of, and I’m even less enthused about house cleaning. But I’m not drinking excessively, and I haven’t dipped into emergency pain medication. I’m not resorting to retail therapy (not even online shopping). I still eat real food, although I have had popcorn for dinner once in the last week. The cats and dogs still want to cuddle with me all the time, so I think that means I haven’t turned into a dangerous grouch. Other than an over-reliance on screen time, between the TV, iPad games, and Twitter, I think I’m dealing with it about as well as I could hope.

So how are all y'all holding up? Are you on the third wearing of the same sweatpants? Or are you super motivated to bake all the sourdough bread? Who picked up a new art or craft? I went down a rabbit hole of watching people make fish ponds and plunge pools out of concrete and bricks today. It made me want to create, except for the part where you had to lug around bags of concrete and bricks. Oh, and all of that digging nonsense.

I've said it before, and I meant it. No matter how you are handling this crisis, be easy on yourself. People process trauma, fear, and grief differently. Whatever you are doing, it's okay. Just staying out of the fray, assuming you can, is enough right now. Be safe, friends, and be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment