Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Opposites Attract

Inspirational song: Digging Deep in the Darkness (Plague of Ghosts movement ii) (Fish)

This is one of the few times I am actually listening to my inspirational song as I write. It may take things in a very different way than I intended when I picked up the phone to write.

I've been thinking about juxtaposition a lot lately. I have been composing brief essays, assembling garden vistas, designing decorative pieces for an event, and pondering the dramatic range of personalities among my friends. I get very happy when I can get away with high contrasts. I have never been interested in homogeneity. I prefer to think that there is nothing to be learned by surrounding myself with people who think only as I do, with inputs that are already familiar. I wonder sometimes whether that in itself is some of the source of the drama that stressed me out so recently. Maybe I'm playing with fire. I doubt the risk will stop me from trying, though. 

I am not the only one in my family ambitious enough to care for a large garden. My mother has an acre surrounding her home. She has cultivated zones and areas offered up to nature to manage accordingly. Years ago we gave her a hazelnut tree we sprouted in a pot (mostly to see whether we could) that had a long needle pine volunteering in it as well. She loved the combination and planted them in the ground together and let them go. The combination was fun to watch over the years. This spring I found a crepe myrtle sprouting up from a neighbor's tree through the middle of a bush the man planted near the fence. I am as amused by this as with mom's "twins." There is no way I would interrupt the unintentional pairing. I want to see what happens.

Today was the penultimate board meeting. I tried to get back to the collegiate relationship I used to share with the others. It isn't entirely back to where we were before but I can be with them without wanting to run away again. I hope by the time we turn over leadership in a month, the roughness will be smoothed out again. I can't carry the resentment in me anymore. It has to go now. I have better things to do with my energy. As my muse for today sang: forgive, forget, forever means today. Make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment