Thursday, June 6, 2013

Battening Down the Hatches

Inspirational song: Raingods With Zippos (Fish)

I think I have secured everything I need to ahead of the first Atlantic tropical storm of the season. I carried in light things like deck pillows, bird feeders, and a random piece of flashing the man left lying on the swing. Little pieces of metal like that can become missiles in this kind of wind, and I'd rather not risk it. The center of circulation for TS Andrea is predicted to go directly over my head overnight. I expect to stay awake all night watching it. I'm rather excited. Think Lt. Dan on Forrest Gump's shrimp boat kind of excited. Last year there were no storms that went through my area, and the year before we only got a glancing blow from Irene. I might need to plan a morning trip to the beach Saturday, if the flooding isn't too bad. The most amazing things wash up with these storms. I don't tend to pick things up, but the photos are terrific. I can't wait.

There was a radio host I heard last year, when hurricane Sandy was bearing down on New York City, who said her tour manager had stocked up on important food stuffs, like duck fat and caviar. I found that funny, until I found myself at the grocery store today, making sure I had plenty of organic half and half and free-range chicken. I don't imagine this storm is going to trap me in my house for long, but I'd still rather I had food I actually want if I'm going to be holed up for the next 36 hours. I've had a horrible relationship with food for most of my life, and I only started liking it again when I started the transition to primarily organic, fresh, and whole food whenever possible. Growing so many herbs has helped with that as well. I can't stand the seasonings on processed foods, especially when they're advertised with words like "xtreme." I am so much happier with the things I've grown myself. It's a new experience, when food actually makes me smile. I don't want to be without the good stuff, even under threat of natural disaster.

I feel the urge to do one more lap around the Park, to see whether there's anything else to be pulled down, or taken inside. For now the wind is calm, but the eyewall of the storm is just now making landfall in Florida. I still have a few hours before I'm out in it, doing my Lt. Dan impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment